VISA COMPREHENSIVE INFORMATION
Foreign nationals who wish to enter or stay in Mongolia must obtain visas of appropriate classification corresponding to the purpose of their visit. Nationals of those countries which have visa exemption agreements with Mongolia are exempted from visa requirements to the extent allowed by such agreements on reciprocal basis.
Depending on purpose of a visit, the following classes of visas are issued:
1. Diplomatic visa (D) for a foreign national holding a diplomatic passport, or UN staff or senior official holding red laissez-passer;
2. Official visa (A) for:
• foreign national holding an official passport, UN or its specialized agency’s staff and senior official holding blue laissez-passer who is to visit on official business, or those holding ordinary passports who are to visit under the auspices of international organizations and family members of these people;
• foreign national holding either an official or ordinary passport who is to visit at the invitation of governmental or municipal organizations or political parties having seats in the Parliament;
• foreign national holding either an official or ordinary passport who is to work in the country under an intergovernmental agreement scheme;
• journalist of a foreign government or international media organization holding either an official or ordinary passport;
3. Investor visa (T) for a foreign investor or senior official who is to work at the management level of a foreign invested entity, its branch or representative office;
4. (O) visa for a foreign national who is to visit under the auspices of non-governmental organizations or international humanitarian organizations;
5. Business visa (B) for a foreign national who is visit for business purpose;
6. Student visa (S) for a foreign national who is to study, to pursue higher education or to exercise vocational training, scientific research and study;
7. Tourist visa (J) for a foreign national who is to visit as a tourist irrespective of his/her passport type;
8. Employment visa (HG) for a foreign national who is to work under employment contract scheme irrespective of his/her passport type;
9. (SH) visa for a foreign national who is to visit to or stay in the country under the auspices of religious organization;
10. (TS) visa for an emigrant who holds migrant permission;
11. (H) visa for a foreign national whose family member is already residing in the country for a private purpose or who is to visit for private purpose.
Designation, validity term, duration of stay, and number of entries of visa are all different depending on class of a visa.
For the most often issued visas, tourist or business for staying up to 30 days in Mongolia, an applicant shall submit the following documents in person or by mail:
1. Passport valid for at least six months beyond the intended stay in Mongolia
2. Properly filled visa application. visa application form
3. Two photos with 3×4 centimeter size on white background
4. Slip of visa fee payment. Visa applicants are required to pay visa fee in advance. Visa fee is not refundable in case of visa denial.
5. Travel ticket confirmation and/or a hotel booking confirmation
Visa processing fee rates are as follows:
|Up to 6 months||100|
|6 months to one year||150|
6. Visa will be valid 90 days from the date of issue. Duration of stay in Mongolia will be maximum 30 days /for entry visa/ and it starts from the date of entry to Mongolia.
For foreign national, who is going to apply for a visa with duration of stay more than 30 days, the Embassy will request for supporting letter from your company /organization/ or counterparts in Mongolia, approved by the General Department for Citizenship and Migration of Mongolia /further, Immigration of Mongolia/ or authorization by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Mongolia.
7. Prepaid, self-addressed return envelope when getting a visa through mail (A certified mail with tracking number is recommended for safety reason)
8. A copy of onward ticket and a valid visa of a country of final destination when necessary in case of getting a transit visa.
9. Visa processing normally takes 3-5 business days upon submission or receipt of an application accompanied by all necessary documentation.
Starting from 1 January 2016, the Embassy of Mongolia will no longer have URGENT processing service.
ALL applications shall be deemed as urgent and the processing will take 3-5 business days.
Foreign nationals applying for a visa for the duration of more than 30 days prior to application should have a permission from the General Department for Citizenship and Migration of Mongolia /further, Immigration of Mongolia/ in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia and must register with the Office or its local branches within 7 business days of arrival in Mongolia. For more information, please visit the website of the Office: www.immigration.gov.mn